Sunday 2 December 2007

Correction of the 1st written exam

Task 1: Describing a picture in a letter

Dear Teddy,
I want to tell you about a particular picture by Norman Rockwell. The picture depicts five people on a sidewalk and in front of an empty wall there is a little black girl in a shining white dress with school stuff in her left hand. She walks on a sidewalk and at the wall in the background you can see that someone sprayed the word “Nigga” onto it and smashed a tomato against the wall. On the left and on the right side there are two white Deputy US Marshalls with a yellow arm band round the upper arm, but their heads are not shown. These men all wear grey suits. I think it’s ironic that the white men wear black shoes and the black girl wears white ones. At the bottom you can see the signature of the artist Norman Rockwell. The picture seems monochrome, because the painter used a lot of grey shades and in my opinion it looks like a photo. I think Norman Rockwell wanted the painting to look as realistic as possible. The picture has a dreary effect on me and it seems a little bit hopeless to me, too. I can’t imagine if the painter wanted to express something with this picture. I don’t really like it because there is nothing exciting or beautiful in this picture. http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.spell.gif
Yours, Maria

Task 2: Is it art?

In my opinion this photo isn’t art at all. I think there’s nothing special about this picture. It’s just a photo, which depicts legs of an unknown woman, a shovel and a green garden in the background. I believe that art is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe this photo can be art for some people. I think art is a possibility to see things differently, so everything can be art. A flower can be art, too, apart from not knowing who designed it. Many people don’t see nature as a kind of art, because there’s no designer. If someone wanted to pay only to see an ordinary picture, he should do so, but I think it’s stupid. I think that an artist should have skill to make good art or something shocking or critical.

No comments: